Tuesday, October 17, 2006

In October 2003 Gillette UK decided it would close it's uk production site in 2006, this left me with a dilemma. At the tender age of 51 I reasoned it was a little too early to retire, I would surely need to get another job. However Gillette was kind enough to give us 2 1/2 years notice so there was time to contemplate and plan.

I had for many years wanted get a small yacht with a view of living aboard, at least for a good part of the year. The problem was that Nicky had never shown the slightest sign that she would ever want to step aboard a boat no matter live on one. However after much cajoling and dragging her to boatshows, plus one or two holiday trips on yachts and cruisers she was persuaded it might not be that bad. There was one overriding condition, it had to be a catamaran. Now there's a coincidence.

My wife, Nicky and I came to the conclusion that if we could rental income from our London home and with the pension I would get from Gillette we would have enough to live on. Nothing lavish but sustainable.


So as 2006 started we bought our boat, a Gemini 105Mc and named her Watanga. The spring was a time for getting used to the boat, but sadly as the year wore on family illness curtailed our adventures and we put our plans on hold. As autumn approaches the boat has been hauled from the water. The adventure of sailing off into the sunset will now start next spring. In the meantime we have lots of little mods we want to do to the boat and a whole lot of stuff to do in the house!!


Meanwhile meet the family


Lets start off with Nicky my wife of 30 + years, scary huh (the 30 years bit)

She has had a variety of jobs from nursury Nurse to Matron. Full time mum whilst the kids grew up. Mobile Library driver, womens safe transport driver. 4 year break to do a psychology degree. Teaching, and counselling young offenders in prison, then finally church administrator. before taking the plunge and retiring with me.

Luke 26 and Tim 23 are my two sons, as different as

chalk and cheese and have always been that way. Luke has always been studious and thoughtful one, Tim the more adventurous sporty type. Both are very musical, Luke in particular endevouring to pursue it as a career , writing performing and producing his own music. Luke plays guitar and mandolin, Tim plays the drums. I have always felt that raising kids is a bit of a lottery, you never know how they will turn out, I've been lucky that both of mine turned out good and I'm very proud of them both.







Oh and here's me, I did an apprenticeship with British Airways and was a qualified Aircraft technician by the age of 20. I later joined my fathers company and reinvented myself as a toolmaker, primarily working on a vertical mill, but able to turn my hand to most machining jobs. In the late 80's as engineering was suffering a huge decline in Britain, my father retired. I decided that running a company in decline was not my idea of fun so we sold up and I joined Gillette as a machine technician. There I stayed filling various roles over the years, finishing up as a project engineer. Redundancy came in April 2006 at the age of 51 not a bad time to start retirment after all.

No comments: